A Fantastic Way to see the Wye Valley All Year Round
A fantastic All Year Round Activity, experience the stunning Wye Valley and its unique scenery and wildlife along the river and in the magical Forest of Dean 12 months of the year. In summer often the river is shrouded in mist first thing in the morning as we launch, and as the mist clears the stunning scenery emerges and the sun breaks through. In autumn the forest colours are simply an amazing array of golds and reds, wildlife calls as you paddle your way through the gorge and onto Symonds Yat for lunch. In winter we wrap you up nice and warm and sometimes raft your canoes to avoid any chance of capsizing, you just drift down the river taking in the wildlife and fantastic surroundings. You are accompanied by highly experienced guides, to teach you how to paddle, help identify wildlife, answer questions about the environment, and of course deal with any safety issues and make sure you have a great day out!
Your Wye Valley canoe & orienteering adventure starts with a meet and greet at Symonds Yat West followed by getting you kitted out for the day with buoyancy aids, dry bags or barrels for whatever you wish to take with you and then a paddle and safety briefing before we are off to Kerne Bridge* just below Goodrich Castle to begin the paddle.
Accompanied by our highly experienced river guides your trip takes you through some magnificent scenery following the river as it meanders down through the spectacular Wye Valley. The river passes under the well renowned view point of Symonds Yat Rock, which is also famous for its peregrine falcons, finishing back in time for lunch.
After lunch you will be given a brief map reading lesson for the afternoon challenge; orienteering in the fantastic Forest of Dean, the course is 3.3 km long and meanders up and down through the forest along the Wye Gorge, you can come across fallow deer, and sometimes wild boar as birds of prey soar above you, it’s a fantastic day out!
Known as the Birthplace of British Tourism following on from the publication of William Gilpin’s “Observations of the River Wye”, which created the picturesque movement, you can also experience first hand some of the most stunning scenery and wildlife in the British Isles.
- Unique combination of Canoeing & Orienteering
- Fantastic woodland/forest orienteering course
- Fun and a little challenging
- Highly experienced guides to accompany you on the river and in the forest
- Map reading lesson
- Navigate your own way around the orienteering course under expert supervision
- Rafted canoe options available for a more stable craft
- Everything provided to make a perfect day out
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 8 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Moderate
- Minimum Group Size - 6
- Maximum Group Size - 24
- Difficulty – Easy, suitable for novices
- Meeting time – 9 am
- Meeting place - Symonds Yat West Leisure Park, Pay and Display Car Park, HR9 6DA, next to the Wye Canoes/Wye Adventures Shuttle Meet Point Flag)
- Finish time – 5 pm
- Time of Year – All Year Round
- Location - Lower Wye Valley Gorge
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01600 890027